logo

old-entrance

A Brief History

The founder of Charleston Stone and Quality Lime, Van Tarble, started his first quarry northwest of Clarksville, Illinois in the mid 1930s. This quarry was worked for 15 years until the operation moved southeast of Marshall and became Quality Lime Company. The quarry was moved 3 miles north in the late 1950s when an existing quarry was purchased from the Montgomery family. That quarry was operated until 1974 when the operation was moved back south after more land was purchased. Quality Lime has operated at that location since.

Van Tarble   Martin Tarble

In 1954, Van purchased an existing quarry 3 miles east of Charleston, Illinois from Olin Humphreys. That quarry was the beginning of Charleston Stone Company. In the early 1960s another quarry just to the east, across the Embarrass River was purchased from Nate Lang. These two quarries were both operated as Charleston Stone. In 1999 the two plants were integrated into one plant operating 1/2 mile east of the river.

pit truck  

old dozers


dad&jack